Technical Stream – Learning Lounge #1
TECHNICAL STREAM - LEARNING LOUNGE #1 | WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2019
- 11am - 11:45am
- ENERGY STAR Fenestration Program Status
- To provide a general ENERGY STAR program update as well as communicate the new 2020 technical specifications and guidelines to the Fenestration products
- 12:00pm - 12:45pm
- More Than Light: The Market for High Performance Windows
- Through improved performance, windows for today’s low energy buildings offer the opportunity to reduce other project costs, creating measurable value. By maintaining adequate indoor surface temperatures of windows in the local climate, building performance targets can be met with less wall insulation and reduced heating or cooling systems. Learn about the reference procedure recently published by Fenestration BC, with support from the BC government, enabling the use of North American standards in calculating the performance of windows installed in projects targeting Passive House performance levels. Upcoming large scale Ontario projects will be mentioned to illustrate market development in advance of regulations
- 1:00pm - 1:45pm
- The Digital Factory
- The digital factory becomes a reality when data is shared and presented in real-time so that proactive decision making can occur and, in some cases, automatic decision making is possible. Critical to sharing of data across different machines, suppliers and systems, is one standard data format. FENml, or the fenestration manufacturing language, is the open standard for communicating in the fenestration and glass processing industry.
- 2:00pm - 2:45pm
- The Part 5 Option in Part 9—the NAFS Alternative for Untested or Imported Products
- The building code provides an alternative to NAFS when NAFS testing is not available. Most manufacturers are asked to build products at sizes or configurations not covered by their existing NAFS testing. Sometimes builders wish to use site-built products outside the scope of NAFS, or imported products that have not been tested for Canada. The Part 5 option in Part 9 exists to address these situations
- 3:00pm - 3:45pm
- Code Talker Panel
- Hear from industry experts on the most relevant topics, you don't want to miss out! Dave Goldsmith from Ply Gem will moderate the conversation.
Speakers:Al Jaugelis, Dave Goldsmith, Jeff Baker, Robert Jutras
- 4:00pm - 4:45pm
- PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: Blink Blinds Between Glass for Windows & Doors
- What are blinds between glass? In this presentation Dan Bennett with ODL, will delve into the benefits of blinds between glass for windows and doors, provide consumer research and detail BLINK Custom Blinds, a product offering for the future
TECHNICAL STREAM - LEARNING LOUNGE #1 | THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2019
- 10:15am - 10:45am
- PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: Revolutionary Solution in the Window Industry - Vitrager.com | 2020:More Sales - Less Effort!
- In this presentation, Alexander will talk about the trends in the market of online window and door sales, and the solutions available, including Vitrager.com.
- 11:00am - 11:45am
- Outdated Systems
- This discussion will cover the journey of moving from outdated systems and processes to modern technology platforms to help you grow and scale your business.
- 12:00 - 12:45pm
- Consider the Passive House Market for your Next-Generation Windows—a New THERM Procedure Shows You the Way!
- Manufacturers looking ahead to the 2032 aspirational goals of the NRCan Market Transformation Roadmap are starting to consider future product design option. There is an important and growing demand in Canada for locally- made Passive House windows, a demand that top- performing Canadian windows can begin to meet today. A newly- developed procedure using THERM software is recognized by the Passive House Institute for computing window thermal values for use with the Passive House Planning Package. Consider the Passive House market when designing your next-generation window
- 1:00pm - 1:45 PM
- The Current State of Energy Codes and Regulations in Canada and Where They Are Going
- The Federal, Provincial and Territorial governments in Canada are all push for more energy efficient buildings in Canada to meet our green house gas reduction commitments. This presentation will look at the current state of energy codes and regulations across the country and look at where the federal, British Columbia and Ontario governments are going in the near future, as well as the long term aspirational goals of the federal government.
- 2:00pm - 2:45pm
- PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: The art of Craftsmanship — Engineer & Design
- Mennie Canada’s involvement and dedication in the continuous pursuit to revolutionize fibreglass entry doors system design and durability
Aj Piscitelli has participated in the fenestration industry for more than a decade as an Application Engineer and Project Manager at FeneTech Inc. AJ’s current role is with FeneTech Labs, a group at FeneTech dedicated to researching and developing new ideas and technology. AJ is a frequent speaker at North American industry events regarding the future technology will play in the fenestration industry.
Al JaugelisRDH Building Science Inc.
Al Jaugelis is a senior fenestration specialist with RDH Building Science Inc. and consults on fenestration performance matters. He has initiated several research projects related to window energy performance.
Al is a voting member of the CSA A440 Committee, member of the NRC Energy Efficient Fenestration Steering Committee, and the Fenestration Canada Technical Committee.
Recognized as an authority on the North American Fenestration Standard (NAFS), he writes about it on the “NAFS in Canada” blog.
Alexander is the owner of start-up company, Vitrager.com, a new platform for the online sale of windows and doors – a universal window configurator.
Bonny KoabelAKR Consulting Canada
Bonny Koabel, CPA, CGA is a proactive, result driven and hard working entrepreneur offering over 10+ years of experience in the wide range of industries including government funding, management consulting, business development and financial services. As an active entrepreneur, she believes that the fundamental aspect of businesses is to have a positive feedback on society as a whole through providing best services to each one of the clients.
As a CEO and Founder of AKR Consulting Canada Inc., she is in charge of managing the company by developing efficient strategies and setting out specific plans to derive overall success of the company. Bonny Koabel has a unique set of characteristic that derive her business towards success. Perhaps, the most important factor of a successful company may be generating profits; however she strongly believes that the profits comes only after our employees’ satisfaction. AKR Consulting Canada Inc. has been specialized in various kinds of management consulting, and its expertise arising from experienced accountants and funding specialists adds more credibility to our services. Bonny leads her businesses in Mississauga Ontario, while her clients are not limited to Mississauga, ranging across the Ontario including City of Toronto, Greater Toronto Area, Burlington, Brampton and Oakville.
Since 2003, I have been instrumental in building teams to help many Canadians to bring awareness of many Government Rebate Programs that are available. With a passion for delivering and efficient rebates results, I took the next step in offering many Canadians to further enhance awareness of Government Rebate Program with Access Rebates.
Dan BennettODL Inc.
Dan Bennett is a Senior Product Manager for BLINK Blinds Between Glass products for ODL, Inc. FOF 20 years, Dan has developed product strategies and requirements for innovative and successful products in the marine, healthcare, and building industries. Dan lives in Rockford, Michigan
Irwin LiMennie Canada
President of Mennie Canada, co-founder of Mennie Global Group, Irwin’s education started in Calgary where he graduated from the University of Calgary with a Master’s of Business Administration.
His earlier career started at Lexus Canada as the Director of Finance. Hissen Wcein Lexus encouraged him to start his own business in Canada; in 12 years, he founded Mennie Canada and also purchased a manufacturer in China. Today, Mennie Canada is one the top 3 market share in Canadian
Jeff BakerWESTLab Canada
Jeff Baker received his master’s degree from the University of Waterloo, studying fenestration heat transfer. Jeff has spent the last thirty years working in the fenestration energy analysis field. Jeff is currently the President of WESTLab Canada.
Jeff is the technical consultant for the Fenestration Canada, past board chair and ombudsman with NFRC, chair of the CSA A440 technical committee on fenestration performance, member of the Canadian Home Builders Association Technical Research Committee and participates in several Canadian national building code committees. In his free time, Jeff is an avid landscape photographer trying to get out and shoot as much as possible.
Mitch LewandowskiSoft Tech Group
Mr. Lewandowski is the VP of Sales – North America for Soft Tech Group, the leading provider of technology solutions for the fenestration industry. Mr. Lewandowski has over 20 years experience including startups and ownership in both commercial and residential spaces. Mr. Lewandowski lives in Atlanta, Georgia with his wife, Anesse, and 12 yr old daughter Abby.
Rob BernhardtPassive House
As CEO of Passive House Canada, Rob works to advance building energy efficiency. He has assisted with the development of the UN Framework Guidelines for Energy Efficiency in Buildings, Canada’s building strategy and provincial and municipal programs, providing valuable insight into the elements of successful market transformation. Through Rob’s leadership, Passive House Canada has become a leading provider of education, events and outreach, and plays a key role in the development and delivery of such programs within Canada and internationally, helping regulators improve building standards to meet climate-change objectives.
Rob is a certified Passive House consultant, has developed and sold certified Passive House projects, and has extensive knowledge on the economic and social advantages of high-performance buildings. He works with Passive House Canada’s members, all levels of government, and industry to make high-performance buildings the norm.
Passive House Canada is Canada’s non-profit professional association and community of experts in the Passive House (Passivhaus) high-performance building standard, recognized internationally as the proven best way to efficiently and affordably build for comfort and energy performance of residential and commercial buildings through all stages of design, construction and livability.
Robert JutrasBuilding Science at UL
Armand Patenaude recruited Robert in November of 1985 as a trainee engineer freshly graduated in mechanical engineering at École Polytechnique de Montreal a few years before. In spite of the fact that his first clients believed he was training as a student in CEGEP, he managed to acquire an experience now recognized by the whole of the industry. Robert attempts to fight time and stay young by remaining as active as he can. His latest passion, motorcycle riding, has been recently added to the list: alpine skiing, hiking, surfing, watching all kinds of music shows, etc. He is also the father of an awesome young woman, his pearl and most beautiful success. And it is mostly for her sake that he wishes to stay young and fight the years, in order to see her grow and blossom; at the same time, the company will benefit from his presence for many more years. This will allow him to see the growth, at the heart of the team which will someday replace him, of the passion he transmits. His most sincere wish: long live the CLEB and this group of exceptional people!
My name is Stephanie Ansari and I am the ENERGY STAR Account Manager for Fenestration products. I have been working with NRCan since 2012; Within these years I have gained experience in energy efficiency in various sectors such as transportation, commercial and institutional buildings, as well as ENERGY STAR products. My educational background consists of a Bachelor’s Degree with a Specialization in Communications from the University of Ottawa, as well as an Advanced Diploma in Advertising and Marketing Communications from Algonquin College.